12

Squadron

Motto:

Leads The Field

Translation:

Leads The Field

Created:

1915

100_Squadron_RAF_crest.png
Disbanded:

In Use

© 2020 Crown Copyright

12 Sqn was formed in Feb 1915 and served with a variety of aircraft during the first Wold War. At the start of World War 2 the unit was equipped with Fairey Battles, and it was flying these that the first two RAF Victoria Crosses of the war were awarded attacking bridges near Maastricht. They were soon replaced by Wellingtons and at the end of 1943 by Lancasters which they operated until the end of the war. Post war it flew Lincolns, Canberras Vulcans, Buccaneers and Tornados before receiving its current aircraft, the Typhoon.

Squadron Memorials:

Bases where the Squadron flew Lancasters

Airfield
From

Nov 42

Sep 45

To

Sep 45

Aug 46