Per Diem Per Noctem
By Day And By Night
© 2020 Crown Copyright
7 Sqn was formed in 1st May 1914, being the last Royal Flying Corps squadron to to formed before the start of the First World War. It was disbanded at the end of 1919, but reformed as a night bomber squadron in 1923. At the start of World War 2, it was a training unit for crews on Handley Page Hampdens. On 1st August 1940 it became the first squadron to equip with Short Stirling heavy bomber. It took part in the 1000 bomber raids. It started to re-equip with the Lancaster in May 1943 and flew its first operation on 12th July that year. It continued with Lancasters for the rest of the war. Post war it flew Avro Lincolns, Vicker Valiants and English Electric Canberras before receiving Chinook helicopters in 1982 which it continues to fly today.
Bases where the Squadron flew Lancasters