44

Squadron

Motto:

Fulmina Regis Iusta

Translation:

The Kings Thunderbolts Are Righteous

Created:

1917

100_Squadron_RAF_crest.png
Disbanded:

1982

© 2020 Crown Copyright

The squadron was formed in July 1917 and at the end of the First World War was commanded by a certain Arthur Harris, who during World War 2 transformed Bomber Command. For the first two years of World War 2 the squadron operated Handley Page Hampdens until starting to convert to Lancasters at the end of 1941. It was the first squadron to fully equip with Lancasters and used them for the rest of the war. Post war it flew Lincolns, Beong Washingtons, Canberras and Vulcans, seeing service in the Falkands conflict, before being disbanded at the end of 1982.

Squadron Memorials:

Bases where the Squadron flew Lancasters

Airfield
From

Dec 41

May 43

Sep 44

Jul 45

Aug 45

Aug 46

To

May 43

Sep 44

Jul 45

Aug 45

Aug 46

Sep 47